While the grounds may be quieter this time of year, there is never an “off season” for us at Camp Vega. We are constantly working on making Vega the safest and most beautiful place to call your summer home. We wanted to share with you some of the projects and updates taking place in Maine while you are away:
- The waterfront bunks (Androscoggin, Kennebec, Penobsoct and Allagash) are getting a total remodel to their bathrooms!
- We are adding a new generator to Lovejoy, our health center.
- The 2nd phase of Vega’s fiberoptic network has begun. While Vega is proudly screen-free, we still need reliable internet to ensure efficient administration, health care and programs…and to upload hundreds of photos of campers each day!
- New roofs on Magalloway, Tumbledown, Rainbow, Kineo, Saddleback, Kokadjo, Casco, and Powhatan.
- Dual ice and water dispenser for water bottles at a central outdoor location.
- Dock repair/construction – over the next few years we are transitioning the docks to more durable and environmentally friendly materials. The green turf will be replaced with recycled composite decking (like the new decking at water ski this year) and the foam floats with more durable materials.
Before we could start on any of these projects, we had to close up all the departments for the winter. The crib and remaining docks have been removed and all the boats are now in storage and winterized. And of course that’s on top of the day-to-day and seasonal maintenance like shutting-off the water (except to the Shop), mowing the lawns, removing fallen leaves (now that’s a big task!), and keeping the snow off the roofs and roads once winter arrives.
T-H-A-N-K-Y-O-U to our dedicated year-round Maintenance Crew, Tiger Hewett, Scott Bilodeau, and we are excited to introduce our newest member of the Vega Team, Chris Firlotte. Vega is incredibly fortunate to have such hard-working, caring and talented people keeping our summer home in tip-top shape all year.